Re: Transportable tablespaces

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:24:25 -0800

People here are bound by non-disclosure agreements, even if they've seen 10g, which most of us have not. Don't despair, I know a guy who can help you. His name is Tom Kyte and he can be contacted at http://asktom.oracle.com. Tell him that Mladen sent you and everything will be OK.

On 2003.10.21 21:39, Peter.McLarty_at_mincom.com wrote:
> Hi Listers
>
> Saw this on SearchOracle
> What new features are customers excited about in 10G?
> Abramson: What they've done is given you complete flexibility. They have
> introduced transportable table spaces, so all you have to do is export
> metadata and just copy files across during an upgrade. You don't have to
> do a full extraction. I've been in a situation were a company was on Sun
> and moving to HP, and they wanted to know how to do it. I told them that
> you just unload the database and reload the database. It sounds easy, but
> with two terabytes of data it's not unless you have transportable table
> spaces.
>
> Can anyone confirm that this is true, that is, the implication that I can
> copy a transportable tablespace from Sun to HP or vice versa without
> issue. I suppose then is it big endian - little endian constrained or not
>
> Cheers

> Peter McLarty E-mail: Peter.Mclarty_at_mincom.com
> Technical Consultant WWW: http://www.mincom.com
> APAC Technical Services Phone: +61 (0)7 3303 3461
> Brisbane, Australia Mobile: +61 (0)402 094 238
> Facsimile: +61 (0)7 3303 3048
> "If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would
> ever
> get done."
> - Ludwig Wittgenstein
> Mincom "The People, The Experience, The Vision"

> This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is confidential
> information. If you have received this transmission in error, please
> delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the
> opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of
> companies unless expressly stated otherwise.
>

> --
> This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is confidential
> information. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify
> the sender and delete the transmission. The contents of this e-mail are the
> opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of
> companies unless expressly stated otherwise.

> INET: Peter.McLarty_at_mincom.com

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Author: Mladen Gogala