Re: Data Transfer between two instances

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:09:25 -0800

I believe that transferring large quantities of data between point A and point B at discrete intervals is not an optimal operation in itself. I could argue a point that if application needs to do so, the application needs to be re-designed, possibly by using data guard or similar tools which would transfer data continuously, in small quantities. When the need for accessing the data arises, the data is already there and all you need is a Cartesian product in which several multi-gigabyte tables are accessed using full table scan, preferably by using nested loops. That ought to keep the instance busy until the next transfer.
On 10/20/2003 10:49:29 AM, "Goulet, Dick" wrote:
> Stephane,
>
> After much experimentation it is my considered opinion that
> SQL*Net is NOT the most efficient way to move data from point a to b,
> especially when using DB_LINKS. SDU-TDU do help, but only
> marginally.
> What you really need to do is use a bulk collect method that most
> application duhvelopers just don't seem to understand. They like
> their data by the spoon full, not dump truck load.
>

> Dick Goulet
> Senior Oracle DBA
> Oracle Certified 8i DBA

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

Note:
This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Wang Trading LLC and any of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.

Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mladen_at_wangtrading.com