Re: re Rebuilding Indexes in Oracle Apps -- was RE: RE: Separate

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:43:53 -0800

My experience in contacting Oracle regarding modifying of notes on MetaLink
has not been very satisfying. I did take the opportunity to voice my dissatisfaction
by using the poll at the top of the article to indicate that I would not recommend this
article to others.

Jared

Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
 10/17/2003 04:29 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: re Rebuilding Indexes in Oracle Apps -- was RE: RE: Separate

Hi Hemant,

One word perfectly describes the Metalink article you highlighted:

Crap ;)

A nice example of how Oracle Corp is the greatest myth generator of them all !! It's all rather sad and embarressing isn't.

Thanks for the headsup. Anyone in a position to get the note removed ?

Cheers

Richard

>Quoting Metalink Note 182699.1 bde_rebuild.sql Validates and Rebuilds
Fragmentated Indexes (8.0->9.0)

>Index fragmentation occurs when a key value changes, and the index row is
>deleted from one place (Leaf Block) and inserted into another.
>
> Deleted Leaf Rows are not reused. Therefore indexes whose columns are
 >subject to value change must be rebuilt periodically since they become naturally fragmentated.
>

 >An index is considered to be 'fragmentated' when more than 20% of its Leaf
Rows space is

Author: Richard Foote
  INET: richard.foote_at_bigpond.com

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com