RE: re Rebuilding Indexes in Oracle Apps -- was RE: RE: Separate

From: M Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:34:25 -0800

Jared,

Unfortunately at this stage I cannot quantify in numbers as I have left that job 5 months back. But dealing with Oracle Financials 10.7 with version 7.3.4, I observed it practically that this table and it is indexes (i think 4 or 5 indexes) require special attention for performance reasons.

At my last employment that table was also used by customized application specially Manufactruring and stock locator application and heavy usage of inserts and deletes. If indexes were not rebuilt on that tablespace then I have seen that users were complaining about slowness of thier jobs. So I made it a maintenance routine to rebuild indexes on gl_interface table after monthly closing.

Apart from this, as you cannot change code in Oracle Financials(although I did) , you to deal with indexes either through rebuilding them at regular intervals (may be six moths or a year) or adding new indexes based on your observation of certain codes. One monthly job called ACCRUAL REBUILD RECONCILIATION was passing 36 hours and I have to add 6 indexes on 2 tables and time went down to 1 hour. In certain codes they were suppresing indexes(perfectly indexed columns) resulting 15 mintues to fetch rows and after correcting that code it took less than second.

Now another database of Order Entry System. When I joined I observed a lot of performance issues. After consulting with Development team,tracked all those tables with lot of regular deletes and inserts, rebuilt all indexes and got back 5GB of tablespace and performance was at their peak.

All those application was based on RULE optimizer so we were not analyzing any table/indexes but based on experience with those applications, I was tracking those tables with large deletes and inserts through application(not data load) and rebuilding indexes with regular interval to keep smooth performance.

In my opinion, we always need performance satisfaction of end user instead of numbers.

If you have any specific question, please let me know.

Regards
Rafiq

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 22:04:24 -0800

The 'better performance' part is what I would like to see some metrics on.

How much better? Is it worth the trouble?

If your indexes continually build up to the same size, what is being gained by saving some space for a period of time?

Thanks,

Jared

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 18:04, M Rafiq wrote:
> Jared,
>
> Those tables are transit type of tables and depending on your volume of
> data, there are lot of deletes and inserts all the time resuling index
> fragmentation(holes due to deletes) and space usage.
>
> The rebuilding not only release the space but also reduces the index
> fragmentation. If you don't have table truncation option for such tables
> then it is much better to rebuid indexes on such tables at regular
interval
> to release space and for better performance.
>
> As regard quantification, you many release sufficient amount of space if
> your usage is higher. Here it was 7.3.4 database so no LMT involved.
>
> Regards
> Rafiq

> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:19:24 -0800
>
> Please explain why these indexes must be built.
>
> What benefits do you see from it?
>
> Are they quantifiable?
>
> Jared
>

> "M Rafiq" <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
> Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
> 10/14/2003 03:49 PM
> Please respond to ORACLE-L
>

> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> cc:
> Subject: RE: re Rebuilding Indexes in Oracle Apps -- was
RE:

Author: Jared Still
   INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com

Fretting that your Hotmail account may expire because you forgot to sign in
enough? Get Hotmail Extra Storage today!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

Author: M Rafiq
  INET: rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com