RE: Re: anyone have opinions on the future of the 'grid'?

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:14:26 -0800

I think it's more than that. I've got a meeting with the Oracle folks tomorrow for an overview of other stuff, but he did mention that grid computing is not like Oracle Failover.

It's more like you have a group of servers at your disposal. Oracle has *not* been installed on these machines.

You have a database running on another machine. As load increases, Oracle will spawn off work onto the other free servers somehow. How the data gets there, and everything works is a mystery to me. But this is what was said by an Oracle technical rep. So it sounds like a true electical power grid, where a server can draw upon other capability as it needs it, and then releases it as it doesn't need it.

Sounds awesome if it's true and if it works.

Please please please somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I can take the body-blows.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: <rgaffuri_at_cox.net
  INET: rgaffuri_at_cox.net