Re: Archivelog - Disk space issue.

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:24:24 -0800

In addition to using the DELETE INPUT clause to delete archivelogs immediately after backing them up successfully once, remember that you can also arrange to delete archivelogs after they have been backed up "N" times.

I schedule an hourly job to run the following command using 9i RMAN:

    RMAN> delete archivelog all backed up N times to device type X;

where "N" is an integer and "X" is the string "disk" or "sbt" (tape).

Obviously, deleting the archived redo log files immediately after backing them up once makes the best use of disk space in the archive log destination(s). But it tends to make folks a bit squeamish, for good reason. So, I use the DELETE command above in 9i RMAN to allow it to be backed up at least 2-3 times before finally deleting them...

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com