Re: Oracle on Sun vs Tru64

From: Oracle-L <orclbabu_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 14:14:24 -0800

Dennis

I dont have the MEtalink note that says this but here is a clip from one of the forums

<begin quote>
Jonathan has given good advice.

Also, on Solaris, Oracle db_block_size is limited to 16K. There are some other unix platforms that you can use 32K, but not Solaris. Regards
Tom Villane
Oracle Support Metalink Analyst
<end quote>

What version of Oracle are u talking abt ? I was talking abt 8.1.7.4

Babu

> Babu - I created a 32K block size database on Solaris. What is the issue?
>
> Jake - We are doing the same. Nothing big to report. In our case we saw
this
> coming so we hadn't put any resources in the T64 in several years. The new
> Solaris system has newer technology, so it really screams. I had asked
list
> members for suggestions on rapid data movement to reduce downtime. It
turns
> out the new box can actually import much faster than the old box can
export.

> Dennis Williams
> DBA
> Lifetouch, Inc.
> dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

FTS
> became kind of slower but I cant say it was due to this move. We were
> undertaking a big change that time anyway and we tuned the SQL to get a
> better performance.
>
> One another thing to keep in mind is are you going to change the
underlying
> filesystem also - meaning are you planning to move from Compaq Storage
Works

<http://shopping.yahoo.com/?__yltc=s%3A150000443%2Cd%3A22708228%2Cslk%3Atext

Author: Oracle-L
  INET: orclbabu_at_hotmail.com