Problem with undo tablespace and snapshot too old

From: Daiminger, Helmut <HELMUT.DAIMINGER_at_wwk.de>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:25:02 -0800

Hi!

We are experiencing a weird problem here...

We have automatic undo management enabled and the undo tablespace is 6 GB in size. undo_retention is set to 30 minutes.

when a certain transaction runs, it fails with ORA-1555 Snapshot too old, although the undo tablespace only uses 700 MB (out of 6 GB possible).

That loos weird to me...

Then our other DBA suggested to cut the size of the buffer cache in half and let the transaction run again. We have done that and it worked flawlessly... WHY??? What is the relation between the buffer cache size und rollback (i.e. undo retention)?

This is 9.2 on HP-UX.

Thanks,
Helmut

Author: Daiminger, Helmut
  INET: HELMUT.DAIMINGER_at_wwk.de

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Oct 15 2003 - 11:25:02 CDT