Re: Weblogic, thin driver and lob segments

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 10:19:24 -0800

Gunnar Berglund wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we are facing some serious problems with the following case:
>
> we have an application which stores quite a lot of documents to
> database (average document size is 2mb). Application loads document
> template from database and when we are having 100-200 hundred users
> there will be a queue on a weblogic server in order to wait to handle
> those documents and saving the updates to database.
>
> Do you have any ideas how to do this faster or is there something we
> haven't realized.
>
> TIA
> gb

Is "saving to database" really the thing to do in such a case? Can't you just save pointers to the documents? Also, if I understand you well, in MSWord-speak people load a .dot and save a .doc; do you really have to save the formatted document? Couldn't you save something saying 'this is the model' and 'this is the associated data'? In other words, use a 'style-sheet' logic? The really useful data in a document is often something relatively small ...

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Software