RE: BROKEN_PIPE from Weblogic

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 05:19:24 -0800

Agreed. By the way, since my original posting, this error has occurred several more times.

   Yes, it is a catch-all error that sounds a lot like an ORA-3113. Since they using the Oracle thin JDBC driver, which talks directly to the listener, Net8 isn't involved. If the server is shut down or crashes, apparently this error is also returned, like an ORA-3113. But the server hasn't crashed or shut down.

   This is a catch-all error and BEA has a long list of things that can cause this error. The database can cause this error under a few circumstances. Like "the database closed the connection". Naturally the developers turn to the DBA at that point.

   At this point I just want to know what to say when they ask "did the Oracle server close the connection?" In my years of working with Oracle I haven't found it to spontaneously close connections. But how can I prove that Oracle isn't closing the connection? Can anyone think of a log that would be written to if it did?

   Should the developers be capturing more information in their Java code? I can recall back in the days of novice C programmers writing Oracle database calls that new programmers would not check error conditions and if an error occurred the program would continue merrily along, processing garbage. Apparently some of our other Java programs are coded to retry the connection if this occurs.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com