Re: EMC Snapshot Technology

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 21:39:24 -0800

Clariion snapshots are useful for point-in-time copies and remote replication. However, they are in no way a solution for full backups, as on a snapshot, the new snapshot volume that is created lives on the same physical disks as the original volume. Sooo, if you have a RAID set failure on a volume, all the snapshots associated with it are gone as well. This differs from third-mirror point-in-time copies like BCVs, where there is an actual extra set of spindles for the RAID group.

The other big downside about snapshots is that if you're using them to back up to tape, all your i/o goes to the same physical disks are your still-active production database. So, the heavy read i/o can negatively impact throughput to production.

Also, one note about RAC on EMC - be very careful to match your configuration to one of EMC's certified configs, as they will refuse to support you if things don't match (this includes down to oracle patch rev - 9.2.0.4 is not yet supported on most configs, for example).

Thanks,
Matt

Author: Matthew Zito
  INET: mzito_at_gridapp.com