more on Oracle Standard One

From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 16:19:25 -0800

http://www.crn.com/sections/BreakingNews/dailyarchives.asp?ArticleID=44997

Oracle Standard Edition One, based on the current Oracle 9i code, will cost $5,995 and is limited to use on one-processor servers, the company said. Alternatively, it can be sold for $195 per named user with a minimum of five users. Support and maintenance add an additional 22 percent of license cost and Oracle's eBusiness discounts apply, an Oracle spokeswoman said. So support and updates cost $899 on the one-CPU license and $214 for five named users.

40% of list for Standard Edition. interesting.

If I were a support analyst, I'd be groaning, as here comes a new market segment of users that no nothing about administration, that will need to be supported prior to the rollout of 10g.

If I were an OEM such as Dell that was reselling Standard Edition pre-installed on new servers, I'd be figuring how to makeup the markup on the 15K USD version.

has anyone heard anything concerning grid pricing strategies?

Pd

Do you Yahoo!?

Author: Paul Drake
  INET: discgolfdba_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Oct 08 2003 - 19:19:25 CDT