RE: SAME and separating disk and index tablespaces

From: Cary Millsap <cary.millsap_at_hotsos.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:04:25 -0800

I completely agree with Howard about one thing: indexes and data don't necessarily compete against each other for I/O capacity.

So the following is *not* true: "You should separate indexes and data into different tablespaces because they compete so strenuously for I/O capacity."

However, the following *is* true: "You should separate indexes and data into different tablespaces because there are several legitimate reasons to do so."

http://www.hotsos.com/dnloads/0.Millsap1995.09.24-OFA.pdf for more information.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:

- Performance Diagnosis 101: 10/28 Phoenix, 11/19 Sydney
- Hotsos Symposium 2004: March 7-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...

Author: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha
   INET: oraperfman_at_yahoo.com

Author: vikas kawatra
   INET: vkawatra_at_comcast.net

Chatten met je online vrienden via MSN Messenger.
http://messenger.msn.nl/

Author: Hans de Git
  INET: hansdegit_at_hotmail.com

Author: Cary Millsap