Dataguard Benchmark

From: VIVEK_SHARMA <VIVEK_SHARMA_at_infosys.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 04:14:40 -0800

Qs Is the following approach suitable ?

Approach -

  1. On WAN, Only 2 (of 3) Physical Standby modes of Dataguard Benchmarked.
  2. Application Transaction Completion Timings & Transaction per Second TPS achieved

   ( Transactions OLTP in nature )

3) CPU & Memory Consumptions on Primary & Standby Databases

4) Using a Solaris Tool (netload) Utilization on the Network Card (hme0) being monitored :-

Sample Output :-

Inpackets Outpackets Inbytes Outbytes Collisions Utilization

634 1300 42216 1385402 2 1.17

1170 2341 77402 2502201 3 2.12

850 1624 56394 1731692 1 1.47

5) Using ethereal Freeware Tool (www.ethereal.com <http://www.ethereal.com/> ) :-

Volume of Data (Traffic) Flowing between the Primary & Standby Database machines captured

6) On LAN, All 3 Physical Standby modes of Dataguard yet to be Benchmarked

7) Logical Standby Database Benchmark NOT being considered

Qs - How may the following Waits be addressed?

WAN Simulator Setting for the below results :-

Thruput = 2 MHz = 2 MBPS

Delay = 0 ms

WAN Simulator present between Primary Database machine & Standby Database machine

SAME Application Transaction Load Fired on the Database in the various modes

NOTE - All Other conditions kept Same

CASE 1 RUN WITHOUT Standby Database (dataguard)

Top 5 Timed Events

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                                     %
Total
Event                                               Waits    Time (s)
Ela Time
log file sync                                      22,601         181
34.76
library cache pin                                      62         121
23.17
CPU time                                                          110
21.10
db file parallel write                                391          51
9.85
db file sequential read                             9,951          28
5.34

CASE 2 RUN with Dataguard mode set to MAXIMIZE PERFORMANCE

i.e. log_archive_dest_2 = 'SERVICE=phy arch'

RESULT - Average APPLICATION Transaction Time & TPS is SAME as that of Without Standby Database (Case1)

Top 5 Timed Events

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                                     %
Total
Event                                               Waits    Time (s)
Ela Time
ARCH wait on SENDREQ                                  135         389
52.05
log file sync                                      18,630         165
22.07
CPU time                                                           94
12.52
library cache pin                                      18          39
5.24
db file parallel write                                283          17
2.31

CASE 3 Dataguard mode Set to MAXIMIZE AVAILABILITY

i.e. log_archive_dest_2 = 'SERVICE=phy LGWR Sync Affirm'

RESULT - Average APPLICATION Transaction Time & TPS is MUCH Higher than of Cases 1 & 2

Top 5 Timed Events

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                                     %
Total
Event                                               Waits    Time (s)
Ela Time
log file sync                                      17,355       4,129
74.13
LGWR wait on LNS                                   92,198         368
6.61
LGWR-LNS wait on channel                           42,991         367
6.60
LNS wait on SENDREQ                                 6,187         358
6.43
library cache pin                                      53          96
1.71

Will Provide any data needed

Thanks

Author: VIVEK_SHARMA