Locally managed System Tablespace

From: Thomas Jeff <jeff.thomas_at_thomson.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 15:09:26 -0800

Is it really worth the effort to convert dictionary-managed system tablespaces to
locally-managed in 9.2? Ostensibly, I should see some performance improvements due
to less recursive sql, etc; but from Googling/Metalink in looking for more info, it
doesn't appear as though many sites have bothered to convert.

The process is like this:

  1. Convert all dictionary-managed to LMTs.
  2. - cold backup
    • DBMS_SPACE_ADMIN.TABLESPACE_MIGRATE_TO_LOCAL
    • another cold backup

Seems as though it might be better to wait until 10G when I assume Oracle will convert
to LMT as part of the migration process; unless anyone can offer some compelling reasons?

Jeffery D Thomas
DBA
Thomson Information Services
Thomson, Inc.

Email: jeff.thomas_at_thomson.net

Indy DBA Master Documentation available at: http://gkmqp.tce.com/tis_dba

Author: Thomas Jeff
  INET: jeff.thomas_at_thomson.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Oct 06 2003 - 18:09:26 CDT