SUMMARY: Top Issues faced by Oracle DBAs in a SAN/NAS Environment

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <oraperfman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 12:54:24 -0800

Dear list,

As promised, I have summarized the issues that folks on this list are dealing with, when deploying Oracle in a SAN/NAS enviroment. I really appreciate the time that you took to respond to my questions. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Issues:

  1. Lack of performance consistency in multiple volume groups. For example, if there are 2 volume groups v1 and v2 and they both are 4-way striped and mirrored, v1 should not outperform v2 in any way shape or form.
  2. Volume Groups that require “rebuilds” during extension (growth).
  3. Lack of simplicity in what the DBA needs to interface. Too many components...require just “mount points” or directories to put stuff.
  4. Lack of storage throughput capacity planning (IOPS, Transfer rate) in the volume groups, regardless of “h/w cache” present.
  5. Lack of functionality that proactively eliminates
    (prevents) single point of failures.
  6. Lack of “logical-to-physical” mapping of volumes. Need to know whether multiple logical volumes are sharing the same physical disks.
  7. Lack of Oracle performance data correlation through the various layers of a SAN.
  8. Lack of automation in filesystem placement and management. Ideally, it should be done based on I/O consumption and data criticality.
  9. Lack of segregating NAS traffic from regular LAN traffic (underlying problem – single LAN segment).
  10. Not considering REDO and UNDO as “corporate data” and NOT placing them in a SAN.
  11. Lack of ease in administration functions such as adding new “mount points” in a SAN.
  12. Lack of automation of backups in a SAN environment.
  13. Lack of proactive detection of “configuration issues” such as dynamic multi path (DMP) and the impact of that on controller/fibre-card utilization.
  14. Not recommending the amount of zoning that is required for a given environment.

Cheers,

Gaja

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha
Principal Technical Product Manager,