Re: alter system

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 21:34:25 -0800

So, after all, something that was suspected to be a bug, was actually a fairly benign problem. What confuses me is the fact that he couldn't set event without resorting to oradebug. I verified this behavior on my RH 8.0 workstation. Has anybody else been able to set events for an error like 942 by using alter system, on version 9.2.0.4? If yes, what is the platform? I will log a bug for RH Linux, on which "alter system set events" definitely doesn't work. When I say "doesn't work", I can turn the event on from a SYSDBA connection, but I cannot turn it off ("TRACE NAME CONTEXT OFF") without oradebug. I cannot use a normal DBA connection to turn events on/off. There is no error, but I don't gett a trace file, either.

On 2003.10.04 14:59, Jared Still wrote:

> This is because materialized view logs do not appear in sys.obj$,
> which the dba_objects view is based on.
>
> The logs appear in sys.mlog$, which the dba_snapshot_logs view
> is based on.
>
> If you had checked dba_snapshot_logs you would have seen it. This
> is where OEM found it.
>
> See catalog.sql and catsnap.sql
>
> Jared
>

> On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 09:29, Chris Stephens wrote:
> > Thank You!!!
> >
> > Found this in the trace file....
> >
> > ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
> > Current SQL statement for this session:
> > INSERT INTO "SBC_GLOBAL"."MLOG$_EMPLOYEE_ROLE"
> > (dmltype$$,old_new$$,snaptime$$,c
> > hange_vector$$) VALUES
> > (:d,:o,to_date('4000-01-01:00:00:00','YYYY-MM-DD:HH24:MI:
> > SS'),:c)
> >
> > ...I looked then proceeded to query all_objects....
> >
> > SQL> select object_name, object_type from all_objects where object_name
> like
> > '%MLOG%';
> >
> > OBJECT_NAME OBJECT_TYPE
> > ------------------------------ ------------------
> > C_MLOG# CLUSTER
> > I_MLOG# INDEX
> > MLOG$ TABLE
> > MLOG_REFCOL$ TABLE
> > I_MLOG_REFCOL1 INDEX
> > MLOG$_ACTION TABLE
> >
> > ....didn't show up there. ???
> >
> > so I got into OEM and looked under snapshot logs and sure enough it was
> > there.
> >
> > ...so I dropped it through OEM and the error disappeared.
> > ...so I guess OEM is good for something!!
> >
> > But...why didn't the MLOG$_EMPLOYEE_ROLE not show up in all_objects (or
> > dba_objects) but it did in OEM? ...and what tells Oracle to update that
> > snapshot log? ..where is that information stored?
> >
> > Thanks for your help!!!...and everyone's help for that matter!
> >

> > chris

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Author: Mladen Gogala