Re: Cary's book - Rapidly moving OT....

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 09:39:25 -0800

Ooops, did I send private instead of public? Apologies if so. It's late here and I'm half asleep already. Just waiting for the flu pills to kick in.

> in fact... Anyone have more than 5??

3 here. Only 2 now.

> Also, I'm rapidly becomming a single
> parent, as my wife and I are divorcing after 15 years of mariage and I'm
> taking custody of the kids.

That sucks. Sorry to hear it's come to that. It's a heavy burden.

> At any rate, I do choose my battles.... that is a lesson I learned long ago.
> You choose what is important to battle and what to leave behind. I used to
> take up every gauntlet thrown at my feet, problem was that I'd have so many
> battles going on that I'd loose them all.... Now, I pick and choose the
> important ones.

Yup. Very good advice. I'd only add: learning what is important is an on-going exercise. It takes a while when we've been used to the years past. When all that was needed was shake the tree. Not that easy now. But DBAs are renowned for being able to use their brains. That's where things can get better.

> Our future is unknown, and always born in pain,

C'mon, not always *that* pessimistic. I don't believe the IT market will get better for DBAs, but there are other areas where the skills can be used and the future is brighter. And people who can demonstrably use their brains are always an asset. Even though not all damagers will admit to it, mostly they know it's true.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au

Author: Nuno Souto