Re: Cary's book

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 08:49:26 -0800

> education and my life in general. No, until there aren't more jobs, I'll
> keep on the safe side. That's the part where crisis and CYA methodology
> jump in. I have no solution, but, unfortunately, I don't have
> Christ-like qualities that are asked from me in every new performance
> tuning book. And the blonde down the isle is so attractive.....

Well, at least she'll never accuse you of having an "on-going issue"... :)

Yes, unfortunately those of us who have had the courage and accepted the responsibility of bringing children to the world have to sometimes take the bad with the good. For the sake of getting those kids out the door with a good education. Worse yet if we also have to support mums and dads way past the age where they can take care of themselves. Much worse yet if they are on the other side of the world. It's all part of that thing they call "responsibility".

Doesn't mean we cannot speak up. But it has to be done in a slightly different way. The art is in learning how far you can push. And where. And when. It's hard, but a few hard knocks are the best lesson.

Has the role of DBA changed? Hell yeah! I've been claiming that for years, and why. But few have listened to the warning signs. Now, it's hit with a thud. Wake up call time. I agree with Robert: move to a place where you can be effective. Or change the world.

Now, those of us with kids cannot afford to change the world. And even without kids, at 50 is not my idea of fun to form a union. Way past that. So, moving is the option. And all that comes with it like you pointed out: learning the ropes in the new organization. It ain't easy. Been there done that for the last 3 years. Much better now, but it was a shock. One hint: pick the organization very carefully. Last thing you want is to be outsourced...

Then of course, there are those of us that were allowed to keep all their Oracle shares when they left. Real estate is the way to go.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au

Author: Nuno Souto