Re: Physical I/O and databases other than oracle

From: Garry Gillies <g.gillies_at_weir.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 07:44:46 -0800

> Im reading an academic book on databases and it states that Physical I/O
is often the > primary bottleneck in tuning. Its not the case in Oracle. Is this statement correct
> with sybase, sql server, or DB2? or maybe mysql?

Eh?
What IS the primary bottleneck in tuning Oracle? I go along with Jonathan Lewis in his book Practical Oracle 8i "Although it is possible to create a few problems with network traffic, excess CPU usage and process contention, ultimately the only significant threat to a database system is physical I/O". (page 38)

CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this email (including any attachments) is confidential, subject to copyright and for the use of the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient please delete this message after notifying the sender. Unauthorised retention, alteration or distribution of this email is forbidden and may be actionable.

Attachments are opened at your own risk and you are advised to scan incoming email for viruses before opening any attached files. We give no guarantee that any communication is virus-free and accept no responsibility for virus contamination or other system loss or damage of any kind.

Author: Garry Gillies
  INET: g.gillies_at_weir.co.uk