Re: workarea_size_policy=auto and performance efficiency [was: Re:

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 11:49:43 -0800

Answer inline.
On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 13:44, Tim Gorman wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Thanks for the detailed explanation!
>
> As a "C" programmer of some 20 years, I can only assume that Oracle has done
> away with the use of the "malloc()", "free()", etc UNIX library calls and is
> now calling the UNIX system call "brk()" directly?

If they are, they're doing that in a very, very strange way. Here is why:
-bash-2.05b$ nm oracle|grep -i malloc
09fd1184 T CD_malloc
0a1555ec T drpamalloc

09c3a01a T eoj_malloc
09c3a096 T eoj_malloc2
09c3a236 T eoj_stmt_malloc

0931f890 t gslcsqbr_Malloc
09c6ff6c T gslummMalloc
0a19c8f4 T gxthmAlloc
09394844 T kdibmalloc
096a3068 t kgaz_nzmalloc
095d6c3e T kpmalloc
082846c8 T ksrmalloc
096224fc T kudmmalloc
096224a0 t kudmmalloc_nls
09f30250 T LhtqmAlloc
09f312fc T lmmfsmalloc
09ecfaa0 T lmmmalloc
09ecfee4 T lmmomallocblklist
09ed17cc T lmmstmalloc
09f51df0 T LpxmemAlloc

         U malloc@@GLIBC_2.0
0a2749f4 d malloc_str.11457
0a274a34 d malloc_str.11466
09c97af4 T nsgrFMAlloc
09d16af4 T nzos_nc_malloc
09cfbfb8 T nzumalloc
09955d44 t pbjomalloc
099bc2a6 t pcidma_xmalloc
09bb1c08 t pihtimalloc
09bc3e72 t pihtmackg_malloc_ckg
09bbdf9a t pitcimalloc
09bb4c44 t piurimalloc
09a5a780 T primalloc
08e9b3e0 T qerbmAllocateX
08f2b788 T qerjmAllocateX
08eb618c T qerrmAllocateX
0902101a T qksmmAllocCContext
090212be T qksmmAllocSharedWorkArea
098847cc t qmuXmlMemAlloc
098d7344 T qmxlsCreateFromAllocBuf
083205b6 t rfcmalloc
09812298 t skgmhmalloc
09c1a548 T sktsfMalloc
09d1e9ca T smAllocateCertData
098e9ab2 t sskgm_vlmallocwpe

09d3bd36 T T_malloc
09d7e96a T U_MemPoolMalloc
09d7ea32 T U_MemPoolMallocAndCopy
09d7e9cc T U_MemPoolMallocAndZero

09be69a2 T wpepstm_STMalloc
-bash-2.05b$

Note that oracle is using malloc from glibc ( U malloc@@GLIBC_2.0 means that symbol malloc is undefined in the oracle code but is imported from glibc). Furthermore, letter "T" means that the symbol is defined in the code and that points to the entry of type "text" (i.e. code). So, not only oracle uses malloc from glibc, but they also define malloc galore. I believe that they've elevated the use of malloc to the new levels and turned it into so called "ora-7445 black art". I should read marketing materials instead of looking into program itself.

Note:
This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Wang Trading LLC and any of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.

Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mladen_at_wangtrading.com