RE: locally managed autoallocate (was: Separate Indexes and Data)

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 06:49:29 -0800

Theoritically, perhaps, but what if an existing table needs to auto-extend at 1M and all that's left in the table is 16 (or whatever) 64K chunks. I still maintain that system-managed tablespaces are barely better than DMTs -- fragmentation is still potentially a problem and needs to be monitored.

On the flip-side, LMT segments need to be watched too in case they are growing beyond the design of the TS (e.g. more than 1024 or how ever many extents). I'd much rather deal with the latter because it's much less likely to happen unexpectedly in our environment.

Rich

rjesse_at_qtiworld.com                  Quad/Tech Inc, Sussex, WI USA
Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com