Re: Huge optimization costs with 9.2

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 08:34:32 -0800

Execution plans would be helpful.
If optimizer_index_* parameters are unset, CBO tends to prefer full table access more, which doesn't seem to be your case (but exectution plans are needed in order to be sure in that).

As Mladen asked about histograms -> do you use bind variables in your queries? In 8i CBO can't peek bind variable values during hard parse, but in 9i it can, this feature in combination with histograms might cause execution plan change...

Did you do the analyzing in 9i exactly the same way and with same tools than in 8i?

Tanel.

> Joan, what is the difference in the plans? What specific feature
> made the difference? Are the values of
> optimizer_index_cost_adj and optimizer_index_caching same on both
> versions? How about histograms? What is with
> db_file_multiblock_read_count,sort_area_size and hash_area_size? Is
> everything same as in 8i? May be setting of those parameters can be
> tweaked to your benefit?
>
> On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 11:54, Joan Hsieh wrote:
> > Kirti,
> >
> > I had upgraded a database from 8.1.7.4 to 9.2.0.4. Before the upgrade,
> > performance is good. After upgrade, one query run time from 2 min to 12
> > hours. Of course, I re-analyzed all tables and indexes. The explain plan
> > changed from hash join to nested-loop. All the parameters are same. So I
> > have to put optimized_feature_enable=8.1.7 to make run normal as usual.
> > I hate to disable the new feature, but no choose.
> >
> > Joan
> >
> > Kirtikumar Deshpande wrote:
> > >
> > > Were tables/indexes anlayzed after the upgrade?
> > >
> > > - Kirti

> > > Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software
> > > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
> > > --
> > > Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net
> > > --
> > > Author: Kirtikumar Deshpande
> > > INET: kirtikumar_deshpande_at_yahoo.com
> > >
> > > Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
> > --
>

> Note:
confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Wang Trading LLC and any of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.
except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.

Author: Tanel Poder
  INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee