RE: Oracle db using IBM FAStT disk storage questions

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 08:09:39 -0800

Hi Ron,

We tested out a FAStT-900 a few months ago. I was happy with the performance results, although we were testing it to replace an HP AutoRAID 12H, so I'd imagine *any* other storage solution would have been better. :)

Unfortunately, our test 900 wasn't able to be hooked up to an HP PA-RISC server like we have for production because of questions about a viable HBA for HP's K-series servers. So, our test box was a dual 2.4Ghz P-IV running
(ugh) WinTuke with 1GB RAM. If you want a Windoze server to connect to the
FAStT, be VERY certain of your logical layout BEFORE making it production, as it seemed even minor changes required at least one reboot for Windohs to recognize the new layout.

Without going into detail, I found that I could expect about 4500 PIO/s aggregate thruput with a negated FAStT cache. At this point, the server's CPUs were about 40-50% loaded. While PIOs peaked at about 20000/s, and were able to ride at about 6000/s for a while, when I imposed a different query in an attempt to flush the FAStT cache the PIO/s dropped to about 4500/s sustained. Additional queries did not affect the aggregate IO rate up to the point where server CPU became a bottleneck. I attributed the peaks and higher sustained rates on fewer queries to the FAStT's caching. It seems reasonable and I didn't have time to prove it (we only had the box for a week).

That's the high-level view. HTH! GL!

Rich

rjesse_at_qtiworld.com                  Quad/Tech Inc, Sussex, WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com