Re: locally managed autoallocate (was: Separate Indexes and

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 04:24:47 -0800

Actually, 5 blocks wasn't completely hardwired, there was an undocumented parameter ("_walk_insert_threshold" or something like that. My notes from Scott Gosset's course are largely unreadable. What has hapened to my handwriting? ) which was utilized to define the number of blocks that will be added to the free list. If I remember corectly, there was a serious bug with DMT, which was precisely about the FREELIST mechanism which would prevent freed blocks from being reused. That was mentioned by somebody else here. I believe that the workaround was to set _walk_nsert_threshold to 7. I distinctly remember seeing K. Gopalakrishnan's name mentioned in connection with that, and this is the same symptom that was described by somebody else on this list. As I am utilizing LMT's and segment space auto management, I'm mostly oblivious to DMT woes. K. Gopalakrishnan (I hope my spelling is correct) my shed some more light onto this affair.

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA
Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mgogala_at_adelphia.net