AW: COBOL TO ORACLE

From: Stefan Jahnke <Stefan.Jahnke_at_bov.de>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 00:09:32 -0800

Hi

I'm basically doing the same: We're using PL1 programs to do an "unload" of VSAM files by hand. That actually takes care of multiple record structures and the like. It's a poor-man's normalisation of VSAMs ;). Then, just load the data as it is into a staging DB (Oracle), transform it and push it into the production DB (also Oracle).

What I don't understand about the original eMail is the COBOL to Oracle part, but relating to the data ?! I guess moving the HOST based data was meant ?

And regarding to connecting to VSAM or the like directly from Designer (via reading the copy books for instance), ... it either doesn't exist or we didn't find it ;). I opt for the first.

PS: Having to use Oracle Designer is about as cool as crucification.

Stefan

Author: Stefan Jahnke
  INET: Stefan.Jahnke_at_bov.de