Re: Bug in

From: ManojKr Jha <>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 01:09:41 -0800

SQL> select * from v$version;

Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release - 64bit Production PL/SQL Release - Production
CORE Production
TNS for IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version - Production NLSRTL Version - Production

SQL> select 'Hello' from dual order by 1 desc;

I have not faced any problem wich above sql-statement. And not faced of any trace generated for this and not any disconnection.

It might be possible that in , there would be such bug.

With Regards,
Manoj Kumar Jha

A transcendentalist engaged in auspicious activities does not meet with destruction either in this world or in the spiritual world; one who does good,
is never overcome by evil.

                    Munish Bajaj
                    <mbajaj_at_quark        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <>
          >              cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Bug in
                    01:49 PM
                    respond to

        Hi Listers

        Any idea about this Bug in

        If you try "select 'Hello' from dual order by 1 desc;" you may run
        into the bug. It creates a dump in udump and could disconnect your
        session. Oracle is creating a one-off patch to fix.

        The bug is for any order by x, where x is a number, desc and the
        column is a constant.
        It does not happen on my instance. Any Details will be appreciated.

        Munish Bajaj

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this message is intended only and solely for the addressed individual or entity indicated in this message and for the exclusive use of the said addressed individual or entity indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person) and may contain legally privileged and confidential information belonging to Tata Consultancy Services. It must not be printed, read, copied, disclosed, forwarded, distributed or used (in whatsoever manner) by any person other than the addressee. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited and may constitute unlawful act and can possibly attract legal action, civil and/or criminal. The contents of this message need not necessarily reflect or endorse the views of Tata Consultancy Services on any subject matter. Any action taken or omitted to be taken based on this message is entirely at your risk and neither the originator of this message nor Tata Consultancy Services takes any responsibility or liability towards the same. Opinions, conclusions and any other information contained in this message that do not relate to the official business of Tata Consultancy Services shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by Tata Consultancy Services or any affiliate of Tata Consultancy Services. If you have received this message in error, you should destroy this message and may please notify the sender by e-mail. Thank you.

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:

Author: ManojKr Jha

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Sep 22 2003 - 04:09:41 CDT

Original text of this message