Database Cloning

From: Smith, Ron L. <rlsmith_at_kmg.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:14:25 -0800

Whenever we clone a database on the same server we have always had the understanding that the original database must be down until the new database is renamed by running the control file script.

I am going through the Oracle Recovery 101 book in an effort to understand RMAN and one chapters in the book is cloning a database on the same server. I just went through the steps to create a clone of a hot database. I created the new database on the same server with a new name while the original database was up and running. I had no problems. Was our belief that the original database had to be down, incorrect, or was this just a restriction of older version like 7.3.4?

Thanks!
Ron Smith

Author: Smith, Ron L.
  INET: rlsmith_at_kmg.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Sep 15 2003 - 15:14:25 CDT