Re: Congratulations Arup (DBA of the Year)

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:54:25 -0800

I think that it is Oracle Magazine that is actually awarding this, isn't it? That provides a clue to the source and methods...

Does anyone pay for a subscription to Oracle Magazine? Probably not -- the price of subscription is generally to fill out a real or virtual "subscription card", on which "Job Title" is queried. From that, they probably get their number of "a quarter-million DBAs worldwide". Just my guess. Either that, or they do what I do and just pull the numbers out of my...er...thin air...

I believe that Arup was awarded this honor and distinction for activities that have come to the attention of Oracle Magazine, namely articles written and published, work performed for Open World, IOUG-A, and SELECT magazine, local Oracle Users Groups, and (possibly?) exposure on this list from the excellent advice and explanations he's provided...

...and possibly from review of TARs opened, processed, and closed... :-)

Of course it seems unlikely that "#1 DBA" can be chosen by any scientific method, but however they did it I think they made an excellent choice regardless! I've always appreciated Arup's contributions to this list and had the pleasure of seeing his presentation at NYOUG last December.

---

And congratulations to Mogens for being named "Educator of the Year"!  The
leader of the junta which runs the Oak Table Forum has probably forgotten
(or drowned?) more information than the rest of us have ever learned, but
he's quite generous with the information he has resident.  I've always
learned something whenever he says anything!  In fact, just recently he
related the method of milking a nanny goat who has mastitis (yes, carefully
and gently for starters, watch the horns...)  :-)

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Tim Gorman INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).