Re: How to log into a 9.2.0 database that has a hung archiver

From: <Murali_Pavuloori/Claritas_at_claritas.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:49:25 -0800

Shannon,

I don't completely understand the reason to compress the logs. If we are trying to manage space (on archive log destination) why not archive these files to tape ...anyways that is a resource issue.

My main concern is the switching of the modes ....The rule of thumb is Backup your db (preferably cold) whenever the db mode is changed. I am not sure if you are performing that...probably not...you may want to reconsider rewriting the script and getting management buy-in on acquiring some more disk. :-)

Murali.

                    "Shannon St.
                    Dennis"              To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    <SSTDENNI_at_regi       cc:
                    na.ca>               Subject:     Re: How to log into a 9.2.0 database that has a hung
                    Sent by:              archiver
                    ml-errors_at_fatc
                    ity.com

                    08/28/2003
                    07:29 PM
                    Please respond
                    to ORACLE-L

no, the file system was only 43% full

the reason log files weren't being written is being the stupid compress archive script turns archiving off before compressing archived log files, then turns it on afterwards.

unfortunately, in this one 9;2 instance, it doesn't always want to reenable auto archiving -- in which case the database will eventually hang cause redo logs aren;t being archived.

my question is:
how do I log into a 9.2 instance to restart auto archiving?

>>> tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee 08/28/03 04:19pm >>>
Hi!

Was your file system full? If yes, then additional audit files couldn't be written under ?/rdbms/audit and that's why you could'nt log on anymore.

Tanel.

 sorry
 after checking logs again, the connect / as sysdba command and sqlplus '/  as sysdba' hung after issuing the command. a password was never  requested.

 thanks
 shannon

 Situation:

 Oracle EE 9.2.0 database on AIX v5.1

 tail alert_TOOLS.log:
 Thu Aug 28 13:46:31 2003
 ARC0: Evaluating archive log 1 thread 1 sequence 69800  ARC0: Beginning to archive log 1 thread 1 sequence 69800  Creating archive destination LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1:  '/u00/oracle/archives/tools_698
 00.dbf'
 ARC0: Completed archiving log 1 thread 1 sequence 69800  Thu Aug 28 13:46:33 2003
 Archive Log Stop
 Archiving is disabled
 Shutting down archive processes
 Archiving is disabled
 Thu Aug 28 13:46:34 2003
 ARCH shutting down
 Thu Aug 28 13:46:34 2003
 ARC0: Archival stopped
 Thu Aug 28 13:46:34 2003
 ARCH shutting down
 Thu Aug 28 13:46:34 2003
 ARC1: Archival stopped
 Thu Aug 28 13:46:39 2003
 Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 69802    Current log# 2 seq# 69802 mem# 0: /u09/oracle/TOOLS/redo02.log  Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 69803    Current log# 1 seq# 69803 mem# 0: /u09/oracle/TOOLS/redo01.log  Thu Aug 28 13:46:48 2003
 ORACLE Instance TOOLS - Can not allocate log, archival required  ARCH: Connecting to console port...
 Thread 1 cannot allocate new log, sequence 69804  All online logs needed archiving
   Current log# 1 seq# 69803 mem# 0: /u09/oracle/TOOLS/redo01.log

 so the archive hung.

 on our older 7x and 8x systems, I would do a svrmgrl and connect internal  then I would do an archive log all to archive the logs

 on this 9.2.0 system, I tried sqlplus 'sys as sysdba' --- it hung after  asking for the password
 ok... tried sqlplus /nolog --- then connect sys as sysdba -- hung after  asking for password
 ok... tried sqlplus '/ as sysdba' -- hung after asking for password  ok... tried sqlplus /nolog -- then connect / as sysdba -- hung after  asking for password

 Killed smon to cause database to crash.  sqlplus 'sys as sysdba' -- asked for password -- got the sql prompt -  startup

 everything worked.

 I'm glad this is a test database so I could kill it and restart  but what is the correct method to get a sql prompt on a hung database when  svrmgrl and connect internal aren't supported?

 Thanks
 Shannon

 Shannon St. Dennis
 Database Administrator
 City of Regina
 (306) 777-7415 (phone)
 (306) 777-6804 (fax)
 sstdenni_at_cityregina.com

 The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of  its DBA

  INET: Murali_Pavuloori/Claritas_at_claritas.com