How to keep "root" out?

From: Diego Cutrone <diegocutrone_at_yahoo.com.ar>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:34:37 -0800

I don't know if this will work.
But I'd write an external procedure (a shell) that checks the OS userid that's logging into the database...
(may be "who am i", it works even with "su")

bash-2.04# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),48(apache) bash-2.04# su - oracle
oracle::/home/oracle> who am i
costos!root pts/1 Aug 28 16:45
oracle::/home/oracle>

I'd put this code in the logon trigger..... I'm not sure if this will work with "internal" user...

Greetings
Diego Cutrone

>Just for grins, I'll ask this question... Is there
any >way to keep the Unix "root" user from logging into the >database (i.e. connect internal or / as sysdba)? >Currently using 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 8 here.

>We have a couple people in our Unix admin group that
vfeel the need to "help" by writing their own DB
>monitoring scripts. Of course, they don't know what
>t>hey're talking about. They do not have formal
logins >for the database, but since they are root users they >are connecting via "connect internal". This is not >only counterproductive but actually a potential >security issue--just because someone has root doesn't >necessarily entitle them to see the data in the >database. What if it is a payroll database?

>So, I'm curious, is there any way to prevent access
>via "connect internal" or "/ as sysdba"?
>
>Thanks in advance.

Internet GRATIS es Yahoo! Conexión
4004-1010 desde Buenos Aires. Usuario: yahoo; contraseña: yahoo Más ciudades: http://conexion.yahoo.com.ar
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Diego=20Cutrone?=