RE: Grid

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:59:32 -0800

10-gig ethernet IS hideously expensive, but its the switching that's expensive. The actual bearer circuit is standard dark fiber. 10-gig ethernet is actually kind of a cheat - it uses 4 2.5 gig wavelengths to create the 10-gig throughput. So each port has to be a DWDM or use 4 different strands of fiber (hence the cost). There's no distance problems running 10gigE.

Be that as it may, though, the circuit we're talking about here is almost certainly going to be an OC-192 SONET loop. These have been around for a while - large-scale ISPs use them for core cross-country connectivity. You can bear ATM (though why you'd want to....), IP, MPLS, etc. over it.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito
GridApp Systems

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Matthew Zito INET: mzito_at_gridapp.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).