RE: Windows 2000 Server and processor recommendations

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:54:27 -0800

Dual 2.4 GHZ would be better because at that bus speed you cannot really use your RAM. Unless you have huge CPU cache, you're bound to experience wait states while your CPU is fetching memory. RAM speeds are are around 50ns and CPU cycles happen one in 0.3ns. The difference in speed is approximately 100 times. You must have very smart on CPU board cache in order to atone for that. Furthermore, in order to help CA economy, I'd go with Red Hat, if I had a choice. Using Apache/Tomcat on an NT box is half the fun of running it on a Linux box.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA