RE: Simulating WAN on LAN for Dataguard Benchmark

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:09:26 -0800

This definitely fits into the "doable, but very difficult" category. Depending on the OS you're using, you might be able to do OS queueing and shaping, but more likely, you'll need to stick a linux box or a Cisco router in between the two sides of the replication and use traffic shaping. The other piece you need to work on is to figure out what the properties of the WAN you want to simulate is. The major variables are:

-latency
-throughput
-MTU
-packet loss
-failure models of the circuit (silently drop packets, graceful RED, etc.)

Once you've profiled your WAN, you use the in-between box to introduce those characteristics into the dataguard stream. Ideally, you'd add a test plan for continuing to degrade the performance to see how it handles that. Not to mention - you need to make sure you have a realistic and reasonable workload to use as a baseline measure, which can be a task in and of itself.

The LAST piece is to add traffic shaping/QoS to your existing WAN circuit in the real world to insure that you have an "SLA" based on your view of how dataguard performs as you degrade the circuit/connectivity quality.

That's a lot of very network-centric stuff, and even most network engineers haven't had any experience with this. We've done that sort of work before for a variety of apps, and I can attest - its a fair bit of work to do a proper analysis, and its often done incorrectly.

A good place to start researching is to look at the Linux Advanced router howto:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO/index.html

Obviously, this doesn't directly help you if you use a Cisco router, but the concepts are similar. Feel free to email me off-list if you have more questions, as I think we're going to quickly stray off-topic for an Oracle mailing list.

Thanks,
Matt

--

Matthew Zito
GridApp Systems

Author: Matthew Zito
  INET: mzito_at_gridapp.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Aug 27 2003 - 11:09:26 CDT