RE: RE: display x square

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 04:49:25 -0800

I am afraid you are totally off-topic. This is not a database problem, it is a character set problem. Check the character set you are using, there may be, among those weird characters outside the 'usual' ranges, a tiny little 2 hanging up. Note down the character number, say n, and store 'x' || chr(n). I remember a colleague who 15 years back or so was storing characters which were drawing a little 'Snoopy' character on his VT220. I must add immediately that storing this is a very bad idea, for the simple reason that Oracle can perform some automatic character set translation (think of exp/imp or how you can specify the character set on a client). You are fishing for trouble. Store it as 'x ** 2' and everybody will understand.

HTH SF

Author: Stephane Faroult
  INET: sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com