Re: Recover 8.1.7 DB with _allow_resetlogs_corruption

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 03:59:27 -0800

Hi!

You could try to set _corrupt_blocks_on_stuck_recovery to a big value. It sets the number of unrecoverable blocks to corrupt during recovery. If it works, then you'll have a lot of corrupted blocks in your database, you have to use event 10231 or dbms_repair to skip the corrupt blocks in the table when exporting or copying data away.

Tanel.

  8.1.7.0 on HP-UX.

  Another DBA (really, it wasn't me) forgot which server he was on and deleted the RBS tablespace datafile and all the archived redo logs - on different mount points - of our Production Financials database. No time for the whys of that story or why we don't mirror our archived redo logs (which we will do starting today!).

  We dug up references to these undocumented parameters:
_allow_resetlogs_corruption
_corrupted_rollback_segments
_offline_rollback_segments

  We have all the current database datafiles (plus the hot backup RBS datafile from last night), online redo logs, control files, etc. and have included those undocumented parameters in our init.ora. A message in the alert log looks hopeful when we attempt to Open Resetlogs:   RESETLOGS is being done without consistancy checks. This may result   in a corrupted database. The database should be recreated.   RESETLOGS after incomplete recovery UNTIL CHANGE 4806846187

  However, all our attempts to open the database have failed with various errors:

      ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [4000], [25], [], [], [], [], [], []

     ORA-704 signalled during: alter database open resetlogs

     ORA-1139 signalled during: alter database open resetlogs

   We also tried to recreate the control files from a trace coltrolfile, but get this error in the alert log. On the screen it's a "snapshot too old" error, referring to a rollback segment with no number or name.

     ORA-604 signalled during: ALTER DATABASE OPEN ResetLogs

  Are we hopelessly hosed? We backed up the database, unfortunately only _after_ we tried a couple of recovery attempts. Have we messed around with these datafiles too much and need to restore from our backup? Did our messing with the database before we backed it up eliminate the possibility of any kind of recovery, even using those undocumented parameters? Remember, ALL our archived redo logs between last night's hot backup and today's fiasco are gone, and there were enough log switches to have cycled through the online redo logs several times.

  We're logging a tar with Oracle Support, but any advice would be helpful.

  Thanks.

  Jack C. Applewhite
  Database Administrator
  Austin Independent School District