Re: ADMIN: Warning about virus threats this week

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:44:27 -0800

Thanks for staying on top of this Bruce.

Jared

"Bruce A. Bergman" <bruceb_at_fatcity.com>
Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
 08/22/2003 12:39 PM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        ADMIN: Warning about virus threats this week

Hello everyone --

As you undoubtedly know, the Internet has been slammed this week and last week with mass mailings, intrusions, worms and viruses. More are on their way. Fat City has seen a huge increase in the number of spoofed messages coming into our systems. In fact, more than three times the normal load, and this could potentially cause some problems for all of our mailing lists.

In order to mitigate this potential problem, I have decided to turn off many of the auto-repsonses that ListGuru sends. Because of the way viruses like SoBig and Klez spoof addresses, and because there are so many fatcity.com addresses in your address books and inboxes, this results in a large number of spoofed messages that ListGuru tries to reply to. Not only is that useless, but it's also annoying for those whose addresses have been spoofed. By shutting off those responses which aren't considered valid, this will reduce the amount of back and forth traffic between our servers and you.

What this means to you is that unless you've sent a properly formatted request or command to ListGuru, you now will NOT get a response. If you are a subscriber to a list and you try to post, but your posting address has changed, you will NOT be told that your address needs changed. Etc. Instead, auto-responses like these will be thrown away and your messages, effectively, ignored. I know this sounds rather "rude" ;-), but I assure you, the intent is not to be rude at all -- it is to reduce the amount of E-mail traffic being sent to the net by these viruses.

I apologize in advance if this causes any problems or confusion for anyone. If you have any questions or concerns about whether your mail was received okay here or your subscription is working, please contact me directly. I expect that these measures will be needed for the next few weeks, but after that I will return ListGuru's functionality to normal. Please bear with us during the intervening weeks.

Thank you!
Bruce A. Bergman
ListMaster, Fat City Hosting

Author: Bruce A. Bergman
  INET: bruceb_at_fatcity.com

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Aug 22 2003 - 16:44:27 CDT