Re: Collaboration Suite

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 10:24:26 -0800

Brian,

We're using OCS Release 2 on Linux (RHAS2.1) internally (15 users). We also did a production install of OCS Release 2 on Linux RHAS2.1 for a customer in NJ (100 users). They are very happy and impressed with the OCS functionality, especially iMeeting. The price comparison to Exchange didn't hurt, either... :-)

By the way, both of these installs were on a single Dell server, which is something that Oracle has not yet figured out how to do, apparently. The complicating issue is not collapsing everything onto a single server, which is pretty straightforward (as with Oracle E-Business Suites).

Rather, it is more that a single-server install makes things more complicated from a security perspective, as you have to be much more specific about what ports are opened to the internet and which ports are not. As with Oracle E-Business Suites, OCS uses lots and lots of network ports, but E-Biz is usually a purely intranet app and rarely (if ever?) faces the big bad internet. Believe me, put a server on the internet and you *will* be hacked within 4 hours...

For 500 users, you'd definitely want a two-server configuration anyway, so it's probably a moot point. Let me know if you'd like some HW sizing info?

Hope this helps...

-Tim

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com