Re: What is _NEXT_OBJECT

From: <Rick_Cale_at_teamhealth.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:04:23 -0800

According to MetaLink

 _NEXT_OBJECT is a hidden entry in
 obj$ which determines the next
 object id to be created. It shouldn't
 be seen in DBA_OBJECTS. The fact that
 it is seen in ALL/USER_OBJECTS is a
 bug, 691329 fixed in 8.1.7.

 It will not harm anything.

 Rick

                      Rudy Zung
                      <rzung_at_printcafe.        To:       Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      com>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  What is _NEXT_OBJECT
                      ml-errors_at_fatcity
                      .com

                      08/18/2003 02:49
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

I recently had to install a couple of things to my 817 database so that I could get UTL_SMTP. I ran <ORACLE>\javavm\install\initjvm.sql and <ORACLE>\rdbms\admin\initplsj.sql as SYS and then followed up by use ALTER <objectType> to recompile all invalid objects.

The only thing I have left is a object of name _NEXT_OBJECT of the type NEXT OBJECT, which has an N/A status. Googling for this gave me http://www.experts-exchange.com/Databases/Oracle/Q_20082312.html which was someone who was having some problems with his database and his _NEXT_OBJECT. I, however, don't seem to be suffering any visible ill-effects so far.

What is this thing, and how do I fix it (and I don't really want to do a re-imprt per the experts-exchange web page.)

Author: Rudy Zung
  INET: rzung_at_printcafe.com