RE: SQL Navigator

From: Chelur, Jayadas {PBSG} <Jayadas.Chelur_at_pepsi.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 09:04:24 -0800

Hi,

I have been using SQL Navigator since 2000 and I am quite happy with it. I am still using version 3.1 but version 4 has been out for a long time. It is not difficult at all, but if you are converting from SQL*Plus it seems to be a huge obstacle initially. If your objective is server side development ( not DBA related activities ) this is quite good. There is no steep learning curve involved, but all you have to do is play around with it for a while ( preferably connected as SCOTT ;-) until you are familiar with what each menu option does ...

Its great for PL/SQL ( has its own debugger ), extracting DDLs, saving results as CSV, INSERT STATEMENTs etc. Schema browser gives you a tree interface to all the schema objects. It can be linked to different version control systems, ( I have linked it Visual Sourcesafe ). Provides a good EXPLAIN PLAN screen in which you can collapse and expand certain operations, search text in all source code etc. The help option is good enough to get you started.

HTH ... -----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 12:05 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

I'm considering SQL Navigator (Quest)for web app dev and am looking for some feedback from you, the experts.

I can't seem to find any training being offered on this product. There seems to be no technical books for it. I'm wondering, is there a steep learning curve with it? Did anyone find it too complex to use? ...or relatively easy?

All input will be welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Pat Gorden-Ozgul
gorden_at_bnl.gov

Author: Gorden-Ozgul, Patricia E
  INET: gorden_at_bnl.gov

Author: Chelur, Jayadas {PBSG}
  INET: Jayadas.Chelur_at_pepsi.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Aug 18 2003 - 12:04:24 CDT