RE: Oracle 9i and connect as sys

From: Babette Turner-Underwood <babette_at_rogers.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 07:09:23 -0800

The security is not as bad as it sounds. The patch is to release major software and the user gets prompted to enter the password. It is not stored any place (just UNIX variables during the running of the release). The
software upgrades are released once every six months to year.

Not all patches require SYS access. Only in earlier releases that granted access to SYS. However, when I build a new environment, I needed to run through the entire set of patches.

Even if I use SYSTEM to grant access to SYS objects, I would need to go back and change the scripts to refer to SYS objects instead of currently connected users. And we are not supposed to go back and change scripts that have been released already :-(

But we are migrating all of the application to the mainframe and none of the original release scripts will work soon any way :-(

At least as part of the move, we have been going through getting rid of the public synonyms and public grants the previous DBA put in place :-)

I will have to try that GRANT ANY OBJECT PRIVILEGE and let you know how it goes.

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com

Author: Babette Turner-Underwood
  INET: babette_at_rogers.com