using dbms_alert to manage multiple processes

From: <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:44:22 -0800

I have a coordinator package that is going to run alot of long running batch processes through dbms_job. Could be as many as 300 of them. I know to set my job_queue_processes = 36.

however, I want to 'wait' until all of these are done. My concern is with concurrency.

here is pseudo code:

max number := 0;
counter number := 0;
loop
  dbms_job.submit....
  dbms_alert.register...
  max := max + 1;
exit when finished submitted

for i in 1.. max LOOP
  dbms_alert.waitany(... stuff...)
end loop;

my concern is in the split second while my coordinate is awake, that another dbms_alert could get issued and Ill never reach my max counter in the loop.

do I need to use dbms_lock to serialize this? Its not that big of a deal, Im just hoping that oracle serializes it for me.

Author: <rgaffuri_at_cox.net
  INET: rgaffuri_at_cox.net

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Aug 15 2003 - 12:44:22 CDT