Re: Snapshot too old in undo tablespace in 9i?

From: Daniel Fink <daniel.fink_at_sun.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 06:26:41 -0800

Stephen,

Tim's statement is correct, but can be construed incorrectly if you read it and think of TEMP segments. AUM still uses undo segments (same basic structure as rollback segments). However, one of the space management steps is to allow an undo segment to 'steal' extents from another undo segment. This means that all extents (other than those currently in use or extent 0 (and perhaps 1)) are available to any other segment should it require them.

A single transaction cannot start in undo segment #1, allocate space in it and then move to undo segment #2. However, the transaction can cause undo segment #1 to allocate space currently allocated to #2.

I hope this clears up the disparity between the statements.

Daniel

Author: Daniel Fink
  INET: daniel.fink_at_sun.com