Re: How to tell Oracle the directories of script files

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:34:24 -0800

RDB,
 It is always best to include the path for the script that you want to execute. That way you make sure that you execute your script and not someone else's. There can be many scripts of the same name in the directory path.
Ron
>>> Reginald.W.Bailey_at_jpmorgan.com 08/14/03 03:19PM >>>

Yes there is a way. In UNIX environments (I think this works in NT/2000 as
well) you can set the environment variable SQLPATH to a list of directories
that contain SQL files. SQLPlus will search this path if the file is not
found in the current directory.

RWB

Reginald W. Bailey
IBM Global Services - ETS SW GDSD - Database Management Your Friendly Neighborhood DBA
713-216-7703 (Office) 281-798-5474 (Mobile) 713-415-5410 (Pager) reginald.w.bailey_at_jpmorgan.com
baileyre_at_us.ibm.com

                    techlist_at_voyager.ph

                    ys.utk.edu                To:
ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

                    Sent by:                  cc:

                    ml-errors_at_fatcity.c       Subject:     How to tell
Oracle the directories of script files
                    om

                    08/14/2003 01:09 PM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

Hello,
Suppose I have some SQL scripts in my /home/user directories, /usr/local/bin
directories, etc.
If I start 'sqlplus' from console in /home/user directories, I can load/execute the script by doing:
SQL> @scriptname

But what if I don't start sqlplus from that directories? How do I tell Oracle
to find the scripts in /home/user, then if it's not there in /usr/local/bin,
for example? So that I can be anywhere in the filesystem when starting sqlplus and can execute my SQL script.

Just like the $PATH environment variables in *nix system that tell the shell
where to find executables, is there a similar thing for Oracle?

Thanks for any help.

RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja