Re: A real newbie DBA question on setting up a 9i client

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 07:14:23 -0800

host name, SQLNET listener port(s), and the service name or SID of the database.

Why not just use the sqlnet assistant to create the tnsnames.ora file for you? It works pretty well for the most part.

Then copy the file to a common network drive so that all clients don't require individual tnsnames.ora files. You don't want to go down that road, as it makes changes very difficult.

HTH Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com