Re: Raid 1 vs Raid 5 for tablespaces

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 20:04:28 -0800

Actually, as of AIX 4.3.3, it does support 0+1 for LVs, but that wasn't the scenario I was imagining. I was envisioning creating a set of RAID-1 raid groups on the storage array and then striping across them using the LVM. RAID-1 is one of those things that I feel is generally better to let your storage array handle - software RAID-1 requires your host to generate double the I/Os and should one side of the pair fail, hardware arrays tend to recover more gracefully than software raid. RAID-0, by comparison, is very easy.

Thanks,
Matt

Author: Matthew Zito
  INET: mzito_at_gridapp.com