Re: Question on views

From: <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 05:59:26 -0800

you mixed alot of functional information in your question, so its difficult to follow the exact 'oracle' question you are asking.

if you are using a 'materialized view' you will need to refresh the snapshot? this is used if you have calculations(like sums, etc...) that you want to pre-compute to speed things up and its easy to refresh.

see my embedded comments below... and you may want to question the 'consultant' about his level of experience. Ive never heard of anyone using the term 'stale'.

> From: "Wolfe Stephen S GS-11 6 MDSS/SGSI" <Stephen.Wolfe_at_macdill.af.mil>
> Date: 2003/08/12 Tue AM 09:39:36 EDT
> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> Subject: Question on views
>
> I just had a contractor tell me that the problem with my Diabetic
> detection and
> Listing 'feature' in their product (Integrated Clinical Database, ICDB)
> is because the
> 'view' crafted for that detection is going 'stale'.

<< has your logic changed?>>

> I admit that most my SQL design experience is in MSSQL's T-SQL although
> I'm starting to come up to speed on SQL*Plus, anyway, the above
> explanation provided to be from the TriCare guy seems bogus.
>
> Simply put there are four or five good Lab Chemistry parameters one
> could use in a SQL select statement to determine if a patient is
> diabetic or a diabetic candidate without having specific ICD9 diagnosis
> coding that declares the patient diabetic.
>
> A select statement returns a cursor of data that meets the selection
> criteria and on MSSQL is a static snapshot of what is in the database at
> the time the query was executed. Thus, if a patient had parameters that

<< same thing happens in Oracle. Oracle uses rollbacks to achieve this, SQL Server locks the rows. Has the same effect in answering the question>>
> met diabetic conditions stored in the database over the past year, how
> can a view go 'stale'? Is this just a Oracle peculiarity or am I
> getting a smoke screen as I suspect?

<< In oracle a standard view is a select statement. what is the background of this 'consultant'. Is he a vendor specific guy or is he an oracle guy?

what does he mean by 'stale'? Its hard to judge what your asking. There is too much functional information in your question. Since Im not familiar with your system its hard for me to follow.

Author: <rgaffuri_at_cox.net
  INET: rgaffuri_at_cox.net