Re: Capacity Planning Methods?

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <oraperfman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:59:22 -0800

Jared, David, Listers,

Another very useful method that I have used in the past is the Ratio Modeling Technique. It is a low-precision method, but it is better than no-precision. Craig Shallahamer et al., wrote a paper on it within the Oracle context. I am sure there are many more out there, but I wanted to mention this, just in case you have not seen it. If you do a Google search on the keyword "Ratio Modeling Technique", you should get it.

Cheers,

Gaja
--- Jared.Still_at_radisys.com wrote:
> In a nutshell:
>
> Collect stats from dbms_free_space once a week, save
> them in a table.
>
> Once a month, load the stats into another database
> for calculation.
>
> Run them through a Perl filter to create a summary
> table by tablespace.
>
> Use Oracle's Linear Regression functions to make a
> prediction of future
> usage at the end of the year, middle of next year,
> and end of next year.
>
> LR is also used to predict the current usage based
> on past space. The
> difference between the actual and the prediction is
> used to adjust future
> predictions.
>
> It ain't perfect, but it's fairly accurate.
>
> Jared
>

> David Wagoner <dwagoner_at_arsenaldigital.com>
> Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
> 08/11/2003 02:24 PM
> Please respond to ORACLE-L
>

> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
> <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> cc:
> Subject: Capacity Planning Methods?
>

> How do you guys collect capacity planning metrics,
> such as DB size?
> Do you use StatsPack, Oracle OEM, others? I'm
> interested in an efficient
> method to track DB growth in GB month over month.
>
> Best regards,
> David B. Wagoner
> Database Administrator

Do you Yahoo!?