RE: Multiple DBs - Balancing Act

From: Stephen Lee <Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:44:23 -0800

At WorldCom, the manager tried to make as good of an assessment as he could make about how much time supporting each of the databases would require and divided the databases up as evenly as he could. Each DBA was the primary for a certain number of databases; and just about everyone could be considered a secondary. There, things were so controlled by the MCI bureaucratic culture that is was extremely rare that one would ever need to function as a secondary.

At my current place, it's a lot more of a team environment for the general stuff with every one picking up whatever needs to be done. The on-call gets rotated, and whoever is on-call will usually get the joy of any after hours production changes. It's a luck of the draw thing where everyone knows that, over time, it all evens out.

For some of the specialty type work, we have gravitated to whatever each person is good at doing, likes to do, or can do. For example, one person does most of the performance tuning stuff because he doesn't mind spending hours watching the spotlight (Quest tool) output and looking for SQL that needs to be improved -- or cases where the optimizer suddenly decides it doesn't want to use and an index anymore (Yeah, I took note of that "DBMS_STATS and CBO" thread).

I tend to specialize in scripting and automating.

Another person works with the purty pictures in Erwin.

It's probably not a balanced work load, but as long as we are doing what we like to do, and we're here for eight hours anyway, nobody seems to mind. And the senior DBA's recognize that, being higher paid, they will be expected to take on more responsibility.

I think most people will accept that there will be some unavoidable imbalance in the work load. As long there isn't blatant favoritism, I don't think it will be a problem.

Author: Stephen Lee
  INET: Stephen.Lee_at_DTAG.Com