RE: Change based recovery

From: Fermin Bernaus <fbernaus_at_sammic.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 03:24:23 -0800

    I've been reading your messages with much interest. I have some experience with database administration and I have done many tests, but I've not tried what I am going to expose in this message, maybe you can help. We do cold backups on a regular basis (every weekend) then just backup the archive log every day, then delete them every time a new cold backup is done. We have tested it and if all database files (parameters file, datafiles, control files) except for one control file and the archived logs were lost we could recover the entire database issuing the following commands after restoring all missing files and mounting the database:

    SET AUTORECOVERY ON
    RECOVER DATABASE
    ALTER DATABASE OPEN       My questions are:

    1 - Could a complete restore be done even if we lost ALL control files? can we recover the entire database from a cold backup provided we have all archived logs until the failure time?     2 - If the answer is yes, what is the advantage of doing on-line backups of datafiles and control files?

    Thanks for your answers, I always learn so much from this list!!

Fermin.

Author: Fermin Bernaus
  INET: fbernaus_at_sammic.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Aug 11 2003 - 06:24:23 CDT